Battle of New Orleans.

Thursday, December 12, 2019

Dueling Frigates-- Part 8: There Will Be No Frigate Duel


Then it was Sttephen Decatur's turn to balk:  "But sir, if the [HMS] Statira is to avail herself alone of this concession [ of adding crew], it must be obvious to you and everyone,that should I be yielding to you an advantage I could not excuse to my government; and in making the crew of the Macedonian in any degree equal to such a conflict I should be compelled to break up the crews of this ship and the Hornet, and thus render a compliance with my orders to proceed to sea utterly impracticable."

Like Hardy, he saved face for his subordinate:  "You will have the goodness, sir, to inform Capt. Stakpoole that his letter was shewn to Capt. Jones according to his request, that Capt. Jones is  is extremely desirous of  that a meeting should take place between the Statira and Macedonian, but it is controlled by me for the reasons I have stated."

Of interest, both Decatur and Stackpoole were later killed in duels.

--Brock-Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment