Delivered to the U.S. Navy in June 1816, but never formally named. Fulton christened it the Demologos (or Demologus), but after his death, it was named the USS Fulton.
By the time of completion, the War of 1812 was over and she saw only one day of actual service when it carried President James Monroe on a tour of New York Harbor.
Its first commander, Captain David Porter (father of David Dixon Porter of Civil War and Fort Fisher fame and essentially a step father to David Glasgow Farragut) ordered a two-masted lateen rig built on the ship. In 1821 its armament and machinery were removed and the remainder of its career spent in reserve.
After 1825, she became a floating barracks ship for the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Its end came on June 4, 1829 in a gunpowder explosion while at anchor. An officer and 47 men were killed.