Battle of New Orleans.

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

The Same USS Chesapeake

For some reason, I never put the USS Chesapeake that I wrote about on the last post as the one "victimized" by the HMS Leopard, together as being the same USS Chesapeake which was forced to surrender to the HMS Shannon during the War of 1812 and cost the life of its captain James Lawrence but who uttered the famous Navy words, "Don't Give Up the Ship."

The USS Chesapeake was launched in 1799, so I was wondering why eight years later it wouldn't be quite the seasoned warship.  But, I went to Wikipedia and found out it was coming out of an extended ordinary stay, the term used for "mothballed" back then, so had a new crew and was definitely not in top fighting shape when it was stopped and forcibly boarded.

Quite the Duh for Me.  --Brock-Perry

2 comments:

  1. See my book
    http://www.theusschesapeake.com/

    Chris Dickon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a look at your site. Impressive.

    ReplyDelete