What stands in Plattsburgh, New York, today is the last remaining structure of an 1838 U.S. Army Barracks used by the Army for about a century. A young lieutenant by the name of Ulysses S. Grant even stayed there at one time. The remaining structure is now the home of Valcour Brewing Company.
Obviously, American soldiers were stationed there during the War of 1812, but their barracks were no where near as permanent or luxurious as the 1838 ones.
In the years after the British defeat at the Battle of Plattsburgh in 1814 and after the end of the War of 1812, the United States military was highly suspicious and wary of British Canada, being so close. Relations with England were not good and it was decided to garrison an army post at Plattsburgh because of the strategic importance of the Lake Champlain corridor.