Battle of New Orleans.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

John B. Campbell-- Part 3: "The Whole Business Was Planned By Myself"


Campbell replied to British General Riall with this letter:

Niagara Frontier 16 June 1814

"Sir, - I have the honor to receive your communication of the 9th current. I commanded the detachment of the United States army which lately made a landing at Dover on lake Erie.

"What was done at that place and its vicinity proceeded from my orders.  The whole business was planned by myself and executed upon my responsibility."

This was the only time that letters were exchanged between opposing officers during the war.  Of course, British General Phineas Riall was no stranger to sacking American towns which was a big reason for Dover being so devastated.

--Brock-Perry



No comments:

Post a Comment