Battle of New Orleans.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Small World: Henry Burchstead, Tulsa and Route 66


Yesterday I wrote about the possibility that Lt. Henry A. Burchstead died at the Battle of Autossee in 1813 in Alabama.  This took place by the Creek Indian towns of Autosee and Tallasee.

Early this morning, I was looking at the Oklahoma Route 66 Organization's 2011-2012 Trip Guide and was at Tulsa and I read an interesting thing.

Tulsa began as a Creek Indian settlement.  The name was taken from an old Creek settlement in Alabama named Tallasee.  The one in what is today Oklahoma, which was Indian Territory back then and where the Creeks were forcibly moved was called Tulsey-Town, a political subdivision of the Creek nation.

Hence the name Tulsa.

And, since I'm much into Route 66 as well, Tulsa is a major city on that fabled highway.

Like I Said, Small World.  --Brock-Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment