Battle of New Orleans.

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Roadtrippin' Through History: How I Got Here


Whenever I am researching for any of my eight blogs, I also look up any names and places I find to see where it goes.

Right now, in my Saw the Elephant:  Civil War blog, I am writing about the Defenders of Charleston statue in that city and most recently about William Robert Greer, who was at Fort Sumter in those horrific attacks in 1863 and later was captured at Fort Fisher in 1865 and sent to Elmira Prison in New York and was one of those fortunate enough to survive their six months' incarceration.

I started my Roadtrip Through History in that blog with the 80th anniversary of the movie "Gone With the Wind" and the role of Alicia Rhett  in it as the India Wilkes, the sister of Scarlet's love interest, Ashley Wilkes.  Did you know that this was the only time she ever was in a movie?  Or that her grandfather was a Confederate soldier?  Might her last name have something to do with a prominent character in the movie?  Plus, her father, although not a Confederate soldier, was a West Point graduate who died in 1918.

Well, I had to figure that meant he was killed in World War I, but I found out he died in Delaware during the Spanish flu pandemic.  How's that for coincidence in these days of coronavirus.

Anyway, there will be lots more "RoadTrippin' " in that thread.

In that blog, I did the "Roadtrippin' " for this thread in this blog.  You can view in the My Blog List section to the right of this.  Click on the blog Saw the Elephant: Civil War and and then scroll back to April 18, "An Added Little Nugget for Col. William Robert Greer."

No Wonder It takes So Long To Do These Blogs.  --Brock-Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment