Battle of New Orleans.

Saturday, June 6, 2020

Two North Carolina Men-- Part 3: Both Lived Past Age 100 and About That Liquor


Both men remained keen of mind and strong of body until well past the age of 100.

Finally, both men had  interesting, though different perspectives on liquor.  Fed Messer claimed to take a little "nip of spirits" before breakfast each day, but otherwise, limited its use, particularly because it could affect his hunting abilities.

Carl Bryson was a deputy sheriff during Prohibition and helped federal revenue agents bust up moonshine stills, until around 1935.  However, he was known to "slip" some of that moonshine into his barn and inbibe there.

That is, until a battle for his soul was waged one night.

The story goes that his wife told him a church group was coming over for prayer.  he knew he had a half gallon of shine out in the barn and figured he would go out and drink while the meeting was going on.

But:  "I pulled that feed sack off (the liquor), and something  came over me and I couldn't open it, like I got the quivers.  ...I went back and done the same thing; I couldn't open it.  I tried that three times and never did drink the liquor."

About that time, he heard praying coming from his house and at that moment accepted Jesus Christ as Lord.  "Before that I could drink a half gallon of liquor and work all day, but from that day, I haven't drunk  any liquor since."

He Heard the Word.  --Brock-Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment