Battle of New Orleans.

Friday, September 25, 2020

Craney Island, Virginia-- Part 5: Most Everything Gone

Continuing with George Wise's letter to his brother describing what happened to him at the Battle of Craney Island.

"They lost a good many men, which gives a little satisfaction.  I am quite out of doors.  I had but one shirt left and that on my back.  At one time I had but a pair of old shoes, one pair of trousers, upper and under jacket  and an old hat, but luckily for me some of the deserters that had took some of them brought them and I recovered three coats, several other pieces with one pair of sheets.  Ten (?) of my spoons and a few other things.

"Our country is compleatly ruined, every day is under arms and our crios are the worst I ever saw.  I will give you a small scetch at sum convenient time of them fight and action with the  gun boats and Frigates, being an eyewitness to the whole.

"My love to your family.  I hope to se you all yet, I am your affectionate brother, Geo. D. Wise."

Again, A Really Bad Day for George.  --Brock-Perry


No comments:

Post a Comment