Battle of New Orleans.

Saturday, July 10, 2021

Somewhat Off Subject, But Allan Nevins and Rick Reuschel

I have to include this as these are two people of interest to me.  I came across their names while trying to figure out the previous post.  What about this place also called Hebron Cemetery in Camp Point, Illinois, but not in Hebron, Illinois, where there is also a Hebron Cemetery.  Confusing.

Going to the Wikipedia Camp Point, Illinois, site, they have a listing of notable people from there.

Two names jumped right off the page to me: Allan Nevins and Rick Reuschel, combining two things I really like, the Civil War and baseball.

Allan Nevins was born in Camp Point. (1890-1971).  A noted historian and journalist.  Probably best-known for his Civil War 8 volume series "Ordeal of the Union."  I have this set, but, alas, haven't read any of them.

Rick Reuschel was born in Quincy, Illinois, but grew up in Camp Point and was a major league pitcher compiling 214 wins over many seasons from 1972 to 1991.  Many of those were for one of my favorite teams, the Chicago Cubs (second favorite behind the Chicago White Sox).

He also has a brother named Paul Reuschel who also pitched for a few years in the majors.  They were even both on the Cubs at one time.

Arthur S. Nevins, Allan's brother, who was a general in the Army and a close personal friend of Dwight D. Eisenhower.

You Never Know What You're Going to Find When You Go Roadtripping Through History Like I Do.  --Brock-Perry


No comments:

Post a Comment