Battle of New Orleans.

Saturday, September 11, 2021

Liz and My 9/11 Experience

Every September 11, I take time out on all my blogs to remember this day.

Liz was at Ellis  Elementary School in Round Lake Beach, Illinois,  teaching 3rd graders when she was told about what had happened and was told not to say anything about it for fear her students wouldn't know what was going on and get afraid.

I found out about what happened between 1st and 2nd periods at John T. Magee Middle School in Round Lake, Illinois, as I was watching the hallway during passing time.  A fellow teacher came down the hall and was quietly telling teachers about what was happening.

That was it for my plans for the day.  The rest of that day was spent listening to the radio after I was unable to get anything on my TV.  I would locate the places on a map in the room (I taught social studies, so, of course, had lots of maps) and talked about how the the hard feelings between Arabs and non-Arabs goes back to the Roman times.

We spent the next several days talking about it and I had the students write 500 word reports on their experience since I told them this was, in effect, their Pearl Harbor or Kennedy assassination.


No comments:

Post a Comment