Battle of New Orleans.

Friday, December 17, 2021

USS McCall (DD-400), A World War II Ship (What Does This Have to Do with the War of 1812?)

So, the first thought has to be exactly why is a World War II destroyer here in a War of 1812 blog?

In my Tattooed On Your Soul: World War II blog I am writing about the USS Gridley (DD-380) which was the lead ship of her class of US Navy destroyers and fought in World War II.  This was a relatively small class of destroyers with just four ships. 

One of those other three destroyers was named the USS McCall (DD-400) which served during World War II.  This ship was named after War of 1812 naval officer Edward McCall.

There was also an earlier destroyer named after him, the USS McCall (DD-28), a modified  Paulding-class destroyer that saw service in World War I and was a part of the Coast Guard's Rum Patrol.  I'll be writing about this one in my Cooter's History Thing blog.

--Brock-Perry


No comments:

Post a Comment