Battle of New Orleans.

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Portland, Maine, in the War of 1812 and the Civil War: Two Sea Battles

I just realized that I have been writing a lot about this city in two of my blogs lately.

I have been writing about the battle between the USS Enterprise and HMS Boxer in this blog, as well as the burial of their two commanders who were both killed in the battle along with a Lt. Waters who were all buried next to each other in Portland's Eastern Cemetery.

In my Running the Blockade: The Civil War Navy blog I have been writing about Confederate Lt. Charles W. Read's successful commerce raid up the Union's coast fifty years later and his raid on Portland where he captured the U.S. Revenue Cutter Caleb Cushing.

And, most people, including myself, don't even know there was even one battle ever fought at Portland, Maine.  Like I say, learn something every day.

Small World.  I Didn't Know About Either One.--Brock-Perry


No comments:

Post a Comment