Battle of New Orleans.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

100th Post: Those USS Constitution Forever Stamps

This being my 100th post in this, my newest, and hopefully, LAST blog.

I came across an alert that the US Post Office had a First-Day-of-Issue USS Constitution Forever Stamp yesterday, so got myself over to the Spring Grove one and bought two sheets for $9 apiece.  I was just getting one, but wanted to mail myself a letter with the stamp on it and they only come in sheets.

The stamp features a painting of the Old Ironsides under full sail and the words "USS CONSTITUTION: War of 1812."

The front of the sheet has:
"THE WAR OF 1812" and another painting of several ships.
"On June 18, 1812, the United States declared war on Great Britain.  President James Madison charged the British with violatingthe nation's sovereignty by restricting American trade with Europe and by removing seamen from American merchant ships and forcing them to serve in the Royal Navy."

I believe this is the first commemorative stamp for the War of 1812 Bicentennial issued by the United States.  Canada already has released two of them.

I was surprised there wouldn't be anything about the ship on the front, but if this is the first one for the war, I guess you need to have some background.

America's Forgotten War?  Well, Not Here.  --Brock-Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment