Battle of New Orleans.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

The USS Constitution Gets Its Nickname

Tomorrow, 200 years ago, the frigate USS Constitition came up against the British frigate HMS Guerriere and won a decisive battle.  In the process, British cannonballs bounced off the sides of the ship, earning it the name "Old Ironsides."

The Constitution has always been afavorite ship of mine, dating back to 3rd, 4th or 5th grade when we had to memorize that famous poem, "Aye, tear her tattered ensign down, long has it flown on high."  That's all I remember now.  I think it was written during an effort to raise money to save the ship in the 1800s.

Sure glad they did.

I have actually seen the ship.  During a trip to Boston and up the coast to Maine, we went to the ship and saw it, but didn't go aboard because of a rather really long line.

This morning, I went to the post office and bought two sheets of the Day-of-Issue USS Constitution stamps and even sent a letter to myself with one of the stamps.

Tomorrow, the ship goes for a sail under its own power.

That Is Something I Really Wish I Could See.  --Brock-Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment