Battle of New Orleans.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

31st U.S. Infantry and the Battle of Shadage Woods

I was interested in John Ferdinand Webber's War of 1812 unit, the 31st U.S. Infantry.  Unfortunately, I was unable to find out much about it, or the Battle of Shadage Woods.  I did find out it was a Vermont regiment (as was the 30th U.S. Infantry).

With Webber's company commander, Captain S. Dickinson, I found out the "S" stood for Silas.  Beyond that I couldn't find anything about him.

Nor was there any mention of a Battle of Shadage Woods other than in regards to Webber fighting at it.  It might possibly be referring to the Battle of Longwoods.

I did find mention of a Captain Rufus Stewart, 31st Regiment U.S. Infantry who served from December 25, 1813, to June 7, 1815.  He was asked to raise a company of Vermont militia who patrolled the Vermont-Canada border to prevent smuggling.  He was at the Battle of Plattsburgh.

--Brock-Perry


No comments:

Post a Comment