Battle of New Orleans.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Stephen Champlin-- Part 18: A Letter From Champlin


On January 14, 1814,  Champlin wrote a letter to Captain Jesse D. Elliot, commander of the American fleet in Lake Erie.

"Put-In-Bay, January 14, 1814

"Sir: I have  everything in complete order at this place.  I have the guns mounted in the blockhouse.  I have mounted on board the Queen Charlotte 19.    I have mounted those 32 pounders and 24 pounders that were left on board the Detroit.   I can bring 12 guns to bear in any direction.

"The ice is constantly kept open.  I think if they attack us they will meet with a pretty warm reception.  The sailors are all well, the soldiers very sickly.

"We have provisions to last till the 1st of April.  The beef is very bad.

"I have the honor to be
Your ob'dt Humble Servant
Stephen Champlin

No comments:

Post a Comment