Battle of New Orleans.

Friday, April 16, 2021

Who Commanded the USS Dale (1839) When Commissioned?

The reason I came across the name of John Gwinn in the first place was that I when I was researching the Richard dale family of the U.S. Navy, I came across the name John Gwinn as being the commander of the USS Dale when she was launched in 1839 was this man (in Wikipedia).

When I posted the timeline of Gwinn's life in the last two entries, my source did not have him commanding the Dale at commissioning.  The Dale was built at the Philadelphia Navy Yard and Gwinn was the commander of that facility from 1839 to 1842.

I then came across the name of Charles Stewart, another U.S. Navy man from that era, who also was a War of 1812 veteran and his Wikipedia article said he commanded the Philadelphia Navy Yard from  1838 to 1841.  

So, this leaves the question of who commanded the USS Dale in 1839 and who was in command of the Philadelphia Navy Yard?

Who?  Who?  Inquiring Minds Want To Know.  --Brock-Perry


No comments:

Post a Comment