Battle of New Orleans.

Wednesday, March 9, 2022

So, Was There a Gunboat 47?

Richard Hill, according to his gravestone, served aboard Gunboat 47.  I have not been able to find any mention of this ship anywhere.  If someone knows about it, please let me know.

I do know that the Jeffersonian Gunboats were numbered as opposed to having names.

Also, I'm not sure that he would have been on that ship if it was in the New York Flotilla at the Battle of Baltimore and the attack on Fort McHenry.  It would have had to sail in open water to get from New York to Baltimore and that stretch was controlled by the British navy and a gunboat would not do well against a British warship.

I'm thinking he did serve in the U.S. Navy, but perhaps the information we have on him is wrong.

So if anyone out there has any information on Gunboat No. 47, let me know.

So, Lots of Questions About His Service.  --Brock-Perry


No comments:

Post a Comment