Battle of New Orleans.

Thursday, March 10, 2022

So, Was There a New York Flotilla?

The gravestone of Richard Hill in Eastern Cemetery in Portland, Maine says he served during the War of 1812 on Gunboat 47 of the New York Flotilla.  In the last post I said that I have had no luck finding mention of Gunboat 47 anywhere.

A flotilla refers to a fleet or group of boats.

I also went looking for mention of a New York Flotilla.  I found plenty about a Chesapeake Flotilla.  I have written about it before.  But, at first I was having no luck with a New York Flotilla.

But, eventually I found a source that listed several American flotillas:  Baltimore, Chesapeake, Delaware, Gosport (Virginia), New York and Potomac.

I even came across the name of Jacob Lewis who is listed as the commander of the New York Flotilla.

So, there was evidently such a thing as a New York Flotilla.

But, I'd sure like to find information on Gunboat 47.

--Brock-Perry


No comments:

Post a Comment