Battle of New Orleans.

Wednesday, February 15, 2023

John B. Montgomery, USN: Officer in Three Wars

I have been writing about the USS Montgomery on my Running the Blockade:  Civil War Navy blog.  It is part of my "RoadTripping Through History:  The Continuing Saga of the USS Montgomery" presentation that I made in January at McHenry County College.

There have been six ships in the U.S. Navy by the name USS Montgomery:  American Revolution, War of 1812, Civil War, Spanish-American War, World War I and II and current.  Right now I am writing about the World War I-II ship which was named after John B. Montgomery who was a U.S. Navy officer in the War of 1812, Mexican War and Civil War.

The War of 1812 USS Montgomery was on Lake Champlain.

I am going to write about his War of 1812 service here (and also in my Running the Blockade blog for his entire 50 year service record).

From Wikipedia.

JOHN BARRIEN MONTGOMERY  (1794- March 25, 1872)

Officer in the U.S. Navy who rose through the ranks, serving in the War of 1812, Mexican War and Civil War.  He performed in various  capacities including commanding several vessels.

--Brock-Perry


No comments:

Post a Comment