Battle of New Orleans.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Talbot County and the War of 1812


From the Feb. 22, 2012, Maryland Star Democrat by Jean Griffith.

Most Americans do not know much about the war. (That is why I started this blog which has been very informative to me.). Actually, I was supposed to teach it the last eight years I taught, but I never got much past 1800.) Some Marylanders, of course, know about Fort McHenry and the Star-Spangled Banner.

St. Michaels can be remembered as "The Town That Fooled the British." Before the declaration of war in June 1812, a new armory was established in Talbot County and there was also an organization of local militia.

Not too far away, the HMS Leopard attacked the USS Chesapeake.

The original Star-Spangled Banner that flew over Fort McHenry was sewn by Mary Pickersgill, her daughter, two nieces and a servant. Much of its original length has been lost to time and souvenir hunters.

A Preview of the War Before I Started My Blog Last Year. --Brock-Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment