The site was abandoned after 1796. Later, the buildings were burned for the nails to be reused in Dayton, Ohio. What was left of the encampment began to rot.
During the War of 1812, sections of what was left of the enclosure were refitted and it was reused briefly as a supply depot and a staging area (used by Col. John B. Campbell's force preparing to attack the Miami Indians at Mississinewa).
After the war, it was abandoned again.