The 7,800 pound keel was welded to the Porcupine's hull last year. Shipwrights have changed the shape of the Porcupine's bow, stern and transom, installed a rudder and have raised the free board, giving the ship more height above the waterline as well as additional internal room and more deck space than the original USS Porcupine.
The first USS Porcupine was built under the direction of Daniel Dobbins in the spring of 1813 near the foot of present-day Sassafras Street. It fought at the Battle of Lake Erie that year near Put-In-Bay, Ohio in September 1813.
Keith and Kathy Palmerton donated the Porcupine's 40-foot fiberglass hull in September 2014 after learning about the Maritime Center and its work with inner city and underserved children.
Always Like It When a Historic Ship Is Rebuilt. --Brock-Perry