Battle of New Orleans.

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

3,188 Posts and Nine Years Later


As of this post, this blog is now nine years old and this is my 3,188th post.

I started three new blogs in 2012, this being one of them.  The other two are my Running the Blockade: Civil War Navy and Tattooed On Your Soul:  World War II blog.  2012 was a significant anniversary year for the wars:  200th for the War of 1812, 70th of World War II and 150th of the Civil War.

Even though I was supposed to teach the War of 1812 to my 7th grade students, I usually didn't get there.  I also knew that I didn't know a whole lot about the War of 1812 so this looked like a perfect way to gain some knowledge.  And, I have learned a lot about it.

The very first thing was the difference between Upper and Lower Canada.  Here in the United States, we would regard Lower as being southward and Upper northward.  But, in Canada, this is based on the St. Lawrence River which flows south to north, so Upper Canada is the part by the United States.  I didn't know that.

The sign off, by the way, Brock-Perry stands for a hero on each side during the War of 1812.  Brock is Sir Isaac Brock and Perry is Oliver Hazard Perry.

Learning All the Time.  --Brock-Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment