Battle of New Orleans.

Tuesday, January 14, 2020

About That Uncle Sam-- Part 1: A War of 1812 Connection


From the Jan. 13, 2020, We Are the Mighty  "Uncle Sam is a real guy and his poster is a self-portrait" by Blake Stilwell.

And, he has a War of 1812 connection and a World War I one as well.

In 1917, artist James Montgomery Flagg created his most famous work, a recruiting poster for the U.S. Army as the United States prepared to enter World War I.  It featured a white-haired, white-whiskered old man in an old-timey top hat, coat  and tie in bold red, white, and blue colors.  And the words "I Want You for the U.S. Army."

He was inspired by similar recruiting posters in Europe (which had been at war since 1914). It was designed to appeal to American patriotism.  (I myself like how the finger points to you as well as the eyes follow you when you're looking at it.  That used to really get my students.)

And, it is basically a portrait of Flagg himself.  This article has a photo of Flag next to his creation and you can see the resemblance.

--Brock-Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment