Battle of New Orleans.

Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Jackson Was Trusting to His Lord for the Victory at New Orleans


Before the battle, Jackson had  told his aide-de-camp Major Davezac of his confidence of victory.  "I was sure of success, for I knew God would not give me previsions of disaster, but signs of victory.  He said  this ditch can never be passed.  It cannot be done."

On January 26, 1815, Andrew Jackson wrote to Robert Hays and talked about the Battle of New Orleans:  "It appears that the unerring hand of Providence shielded my men from the shower of balls, bombs, and rockets, when every ball or bomb from our guns carried with them the mission of death.

On February 17, 1815, Jackson wrote to Secretary of War James Monroe:  "Heaven, to be sure, has interposed most wonderfully in our behalf, and I am filled with gratitude, when I look back to what we have escaped."

--Brock-Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment